Garmin Inreach Marine Bundle Review
** Affiliate disclosure. This web site is supported by its awesome audience. When you click or purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The Nitty Gritty
- Small. Low end price usually in the $350 – $400 range.
- No calling but you have SOS and texting.
- There is a cool map feature that pairs with your phone buy you probably have a better map solution on your boat already.
- Good battery life at up to 50 hours and one of the more rugged units we have seen (MIL-810F). It has the typical IPX7 rating so good in a storm not scuba diving.
- Subscription plans are $10 – $50 / Month mainly dependent on the amount of text messages you need each month.
- Similar to Spot X you have unlimited preset message sending.
- For weather there is no radar but you can get marine specific forecasts sent to the device.
- Overall this may be the top unit in the lower price range.
The Garmin Inreach
A compact satellite communicator, the Garmin Inreach carries a 50-hour battery life and is durable. Its interactive SOS function lets you send a distress signal to a 24-hour search center. It offers access to GPS, downloadable maps, text messages, and weather reports. It also provides a variety of helpful information. Even the weather can be updated to help you make the right decisions. Choosing the right device for your needs is essential.
InReach features a weather forecast feature. Weather forecasts are provided for free and premium. Basic weather forecasts provide information about barometric pressure, wind chill value, cloud coverage, and precipitation amounts. Users can also request a detailed forecast of the weather at a distant location. Depending on where you are traveling, the weather forecast may be of great use. Its built-in trip computer also allows you to track your route and see how you’re doing.
InReach is the easiest way to send and receive messages. It works through the Garmin smartphone app. By adding friends, you can easily send and receive large batches of messages. You can also pre-program messages and send them to people by phone number or email. The messaging feature can also be integrated into social media and blogs. If you’re planning a trip where you won’t have a signal, the InReach is an excellent choice.
The InReach also lets you customize data fields and add custom data. It doesn’t offer a connection to sensors or elevation climbed, which would be helpful if you’re planning on a hike or camping. This feature is great for those who want to be notified of emergencies.
You can also send and receive messages from other Inreach users. You can send and receive messages from other Inreach devices, which can be password-protected. Moreover, you can even send and receive messages from friends. Its location history is stored in a database for future reference.
With the InReach, you can send messages to any phone number. The app also offers a web portal, which allows you to send and receive big batch messages. You can also set up pre-programmed messages to send to friends and family.
With the inReach explorer, you can send text messages to friends, and share your location. It has a GPS module that lets you see the location of the person who sent you message. The device’s touchscreen lets you see who sent you a message, which is an important feature for safety. Its GPS capabilities also allow you to track your movements using the map. This feature is also helpful in identifying a specific route or a specific landmark.
From the manufacturer
- Small, rugged, lightweight satellite communicator enables two-way text messaging via global Iridium satellite network (satellite subscription required)
- Trigger an interactive SOS to the 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center (satellite subscription required)
- Includes screw down mount and 12-volt power cable for easy installation
- Access downloadable maps, U. S. NOAA charts, color Aerial imagery and more by using the free earth mate app and compatible devices
- Optional in reach weather forecast service provides detailed updates directly to your in reach mini or paired device; basic and premium weather packages are available
- NOTICE: Some jurisdictions regulate or prohibit the use of satellite communications devices. It is the responsibility of the user to know and follow all applicable laws in the jurisdictions where the device is intended to be used.
Rick is the head writer at MaydayMarine.com Rick creates product review and ranking content in the maritime industry. His focus is mainly on safety offshore at MayDayMarine.com