Iridium 9555 Review
** Affiliate disclosure. This web site is supported by its awesome audience. When you click or purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The Nitty Gritty
- Priced in the $950 – $1,500 range depending on your plan. The 9555 offers global coverage with text, email, and voice calling.
- Battery life is decent at 4 hours talk time and 30 hours in standby mode.
- It doesn’t appear to be very water resistant so be careful with it!
- Plans start at $50/Month on up with 20 minutes of monthly talk time at the entry level package and then around $1/minute.
- You can buy a 9555 with a preloaded sim card containing 100, 250, minutes etc but they expire after 60 days. Outgoing text messages are .15 each with unlimited incoming. The minimum contract length on the 9555 is 12 months.
- Overall a good phone with global coverage but on a boat the Iridium Extreme might make a bit more sense for the extra $150 .
The Iridium 9555
The compact, lightweight, and powerful Iridium 9555 satellite phone is engineered for rugged conditions. It is connected to the only global mobile network, and its aerodynamic features and integrated antenna make it easy to use. It also has a built-in speakerphone and mini-USB data port. Whether you are traveling or just out for a picnic with friends and family, you can always be connected to email no matter where you are.
The rugged design of the Iridium 9555 means it will work in extreme conditions. While the phone cannot play games, pictures, or music, it is still an effective tool to use for making calls. It has an integrated speakerphone, SMS messaging capabilities, and a Mini-USB data port, and it continues to evolve the satellite phone market. This rugged-built satellite phone is perfect for long-haul flights, or for use in remote areas of the world.
With a user-friendly interface, the Iridium 9555 offers reliable communication to a wider geographic area. The device is also designed for use in extreme environments, making it an excellent choice for expeditions, boat trips, or remote exploration. It will be compatible with existing Iridium-enabled solutions, and it will remain backward-compatible with all of them. The Iridium 9555 is available in two models: International Voucher and Global Service.
Despite its high price, the Iridium 9555 Satellite Phone has several advantages that help make it an ideal travel tool. It provides high-quality communication from any place on the planet. It also provides enhanced SMS and email messaging functionality, and can even be customized with an area code. The Iridium 9555 has a very small physical footprint and is durable, making it a great choice for anyone who wants to travel.
The compact Iridium 9555 satellite phone is extremely easy to use. It has a long range and a reliable connection. It is available as a stand-alone handheld phone or as a mobile kit. Unlike some other satellite phones, the Iridium 9555 is extremely affordable and portable. Its internal antenna and SIM card allow it to be used in almost any environment, which makes it a great choice for emergency situations.
From the Manufacturer
- Extended Battery Life
- Up to (4) hours of talk time, (30) hours of standby
- 200 Character Illuminated Display
- Integrated Speakerphone
- Internally Stowed Antenna
- Upgraded Mini-USB Data Port
- Support for Mobile Tethering
- Internal and SIM-Based Address Book
- Selectable Ring & Alert Tones
Rick is the head writer at MaydayMarine.com Rick creates product review and ranking content in the maritime industry. His focus is mainly on safety offshore at MayDayMarine.com